Our Privacy/Cookie Policy contains detailed information about the types of cookies & related technology on our site, and some ways to opt out. By using the site, you agree to the uses of cookies and other technology as outlined in our Policy, and to our Terms of Use.


Armed Teen Shot Dead Near Ferguson

Armed teen shot dead in Missouri

Late Tuesday night, just miles from where Michael Brown died on a street in Ferguson, Mo. in October, another teen was fatally shot dead by a police officer.

While details are still emerging, this time the scene took place at a Mobil gas station in Berkeley, Mo. According to St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar, officers responded to a robbery at the Mobil at around 11:15 p.m. on Tuesday, when 18-year-old Antonio Martin pulled out his gun and aimed it at an officer. In a press conference, Belmar later stated that the officer fired three shots at the teen before moving back, losing his balance and falling to the ground. One of those shots struck the suspect, the second hit a tire of the police cruiser and the third is yet to be accounted for. No shots were fired from the teen's gun.

Belmar shared that the 18-year-old victim was already known to police as having a record of assault and multiple firearm offenses. He was pronounced dead at the scene, while another individual who was with the teen fled the scene.

St. Louis County police have since taken over the investigation, releasing a short video of the incident during the press conference yesterday.

“The video goes on but there is no reason for the family of this young man to see the rest of the video,” Belmar said, after the clip cut off before showing the fatal shots.

In the wake of the incident, emotions are understandably running high in Berkeley and nearby Ferguson. In fact, it wasn't long before news of the teen's death swept the community, and some 200 to 300 people gathered around the gas station in protest. According to Belmar, bricks were thrown at officers and three explosive devices were tossed near gas pumps.

In the end, four people were arrested by the Berkeley police, who are also working hard to calm community outrage.

"What we’re really trying to do is try to be as transparent as we possibly can," Belmar said. "We really want the community to understand this, too."

More from news