Join Club Momme for exclusive access to giveaways, discounts and more!

Sign up

Students Hospitalized After 'Triple C' Overdose

Three San Francisco 8th-graders were hospitalized after they took up to 12 tablets of a cold medication meant to treat coughs, colds and congestion. Called "Triple C" on the street, too much Coricidin Cough & Cold causes hallucination and intoxication symptoms.

The girls' principal told investigators that the three girls were behaving in an unusual way and that they had been noticeably affected by the drug.

These reported overdoses in California are the latest reported hospitalizations for recreational use of Coricidin. Last week, four students in Florida were rushed to the hospital for after abusing the medication.

Coricidin contains Dextromethoraphan, or DXM, which is an ingredient in more than 100 over-the-counter medications. If taken improperly, these pills—which kids say look like Skittles candy—they can cause seizures, severe hypertension, heart irregularities and, in extreme cases, even death.

The San Francisco students will face school discipline. Meanwhile, officials—and doctors and schools around the country—are warning parents about "Triple C" and "Skittling" and asking them to monitor cold medicines in the home.

Image via GalleryHip

Explore More: health, news
More from news