Join Club Momme for exclusive access to giveaways, discounts and more!

Sign up

NJ Students Rushed to Hospital in Science Lab Fail

It's the stuff of teen movies.

A New Jersey high school was evacuated this morning after a first-period chemistry experiment went horribly wrong and sent out fumes throughout the lab and down the halls.

Twelve students and five teachers were also rushed by school bus to a nearby hospital for observation and treatment.

School officials at Kingsway High School in Swedesboro, N.J., released few details about the experiment — or where things went wrong. Students had apparently been heating Lauric acid in a demonstration of changes in temperature. Gloucester County spokeswoman Debra Sellitto said a contaminated beaker is suspected to have been the catalyst for the fumes.

Reports say the incident happened around 7:40 a.m.

Several ambulances, firefighters and county hazmat officials responded to the scene. According to reporters, the school was ventilated after all students had been evacuated. Gloucester County Hazardous Materials Team then inspected the school and gave clearance for the students, waiting at a nearby middle school, to return.

The school's superintendent did not release information on the hospitalized students and faculty, though reports indicate all are doing fine.

Probably, and this is just a guess, few minded this interruption to the school day.

Image via Twenty20/inlovewithstrangers11

Explore More: education, news
More from news