Doctors Who Mistakenly Declared Newborn Dead Are Fired
by Lisa René LeClair
Photograph by Twenty20
A woman who recently gave birth to boy-girl twins
in New Delhi, India, suffered a parent's worst nightmare last Thursday.
Her newborn son was mistakenly pronounced dead just hours after
his twin sister was declared stillborn by doctors at the Max Super Speciality Hospital in Shalimar Bagh, New Delhi, according to CNN. Two doctors have since been fired from the hospital as a result.
While on their way to a cremation ground, the parents noticed
"some movements" inside one of the polythene bags that the hospital
gave them containing the babies' bodies.
opened the bag, we found the boy breathing," Praveen Malik, the twins' grandfather, told the news outlet. "I was shocked. I couldn't believe
disturbing detail is that a second doctor had confirmed the initial
diagnosis. That's right—two doctors, two sets of eyes—determined
that a breathing infant was deceased.
which fired the doctors, stated that the boy was "handed over without
any sign of life" by hospital staff. However, Max Healthcare officials
said that the decision to let the two doctors go should not be interpreted as
an admission of guilt.
"We wish to
clarify that this action should not presuppose finding of any lapse by the
expert group and should not be construed in any way to be anything other than
an expression of our continued commitment to providing quality health care."
Gupta from the Delhi New Born Centre, where the baby is now receiving treatment,
has confirmed that the boy is in critical condition.
"He is on
ventilator support, nutrition support and other supports. We are managing to
maintain his vitals at the moment, but the condition is very serious," Gupta said.
ongoing investigation and a tweet from Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal
stating that authorities would take the "strongest action" if someone
is found at fault, the boy's grandfather is demanding that those involved face
the Delhi government to take strict action against the hospital authorities for
their negligence," Malik told reporters.