Our Privacy/Cookie Policy contains detailed information about the types of cookies & related technology on our site, and some ways to opt out. By using the site, you agree to the uses of cookies and other technology as outlined in our Policy, and to our Terms of Use.


Airport Angel Rescues Stranded Mom

A Michigan mom met a living angel who came to her rescue the day before Thanksgiving. Laura Genovich shared the touching story in a blog post that has been shared on Facebook more than 23,000 times.

Laura received a call that her mom, who lives in Florida, had a stroke. When the nurse explained to Laura that there was a chance her mom would not wake up, she immediately packed up her 3-month-old son so that her husband and two other children could drop them off to the airport to take the next flight to Florida.

After she was seated on the plane, the crew announced that the plane's departure was being held up for maintenance. She spent the next hour on the phone with relatives relaying the news about her mom's health, hoping the crew would hurry and the flight would be able to depart.

Sadly, the crew announced that the plane would be grounded until further notice, leaving passengers to take later flights.

"I just broke down and started crying because I need to be there. I needed to get there as soon as possible. My dad was alone down there. We don't have other family down there and I had to get there as soon as I could," Laura told KSN News.

To Laura's surprise, after overhearing her frustrated conversations with her family, a woman in the seat in front of her turned around and said, "My name is Mary. I've been listening to you for the last hour, and I've been praying for you and your family. I am not leaving your side until you are on a plane to Orlando," she recounted.

Mary didn't lie. She stood by Laura's side as Laura's husband researched and found a new flight to Orlando with a different airline. As Laura rushed to meet the 12:15 p.m. flight, which was scheduled to take off within minutes, she was told that her ticket could not be transferred and even if it could, she would never make it on time to board.

She tried her luck and ran to the gate. The ticket agent said that she could board the flight but the ticket would be $400.

Without hesitation, Mary paid for Laura's ticket on a new flight and then stayed behind to ensure that her luggage was transferred to the correct plane.

Laura made it to the hospital that night, 15 minutes before visitation hours ended.

"I laid the baby on her and I talked to my mom and I sang to her and I played videos on my phone of the other kids so she could hear their voices and to be able to do that is just priceless," Laura said.

Her mom passed away a few days later, on Dec. 3.

The airline awarded Mary a voucher for her act of kindness.

More from news