When Indiana mom Brittany Dixson got sucked into a video that went viral the other day, she made the most heart-stopping discovery. The baby she was watching sputter for air under cascades of water at a splash pad was her 7-month-old daughter.
“When I first saw the video, it was just like, ‘Why would you put a child underneath so much water at once?'’” Dixon wrote online. Then she realized it was her daughter, Annora.
Immediately, the National Daily Press reported, she tracked down the babysitter and fired her. Then she rushed Annora to the doctor.
“She could have inhaled so much water [that] once she went to sleep that night, she could have actually drowned in her sleep because the water would have been trapped in her lungs,” she said. “But she didn’t have any water in her lungs or anything like that, but [the doctor] said that was a major possibility and he’s glad that I brought her in.”
The babysitter was apparently very sorry for having taken the girl to the park and not intervening in the water incident. She said that she exercised "poor judgment."
The woman who posted the video, Desiree Howell, told the frightened mom her concern for the child’s well-being prompted her to hit "post."
She said in addition to the water, the babysitter hand't been paying attention to the heat of the pavement that the little girl was walking on, and also that the sitter swung the baby too high in the swings.
The Indy Star reports that baby Annora is doing fine.