Bar-S Foods Company, the makers of the easiest lunch in the world (aka hot dogs), has announced a huge recall of approximately 372,684 pounds of chicken and pork franks, as well as some corn dogs.
That, my friends, is a ton of hot dogs. Or, actually, it's over 180 tons of hot dogs.
If you have hot dogs or corn dogs in your fridge or freezer, get them out ASAP to check if they're part of this recall because you'll want to either toss them or return them to where they were purchased. No matter what, you don't want to eat them or feed them to your kids.
Bar-S makes quite a few products, but not all are affected. You'll want to check yours to see if they are one of the products affected by the recall:
- 16-oz/1-lb. packages of "BAR-S Classic BUN LENGTH Franks MADE WITH CHICKEN, PORK ADDED" with "Use By" date of 10/11/2016 and case code 209
- 12-oz. packages of "BAR-S CLASSIC Franks MADE WITH CHICKEN, PORK ADDED" with package code 6338, "Use By" date of 10/10/2016 and case code 6405
- 24-oz./1.5-lb. cartons of "SIGNATURE Pick 5 CORNDOGS – 8 Honey Batter Dipped Franks On A Stick" with a "Use By" date of 4/6/2017 and case code 6071
- 42.72-oz./2.67-lb. cartons of "BAR-S CLASSIC CORN DOGS – 16 Honey Batter Dipped Franks On A Stick" with "Use By" dates of 4/7/2017 and 4/8/2017 and case code 6396.
- 48-oz./3-lb. cartons of "BAR-S CLASSIC CORN DOGS – 16 Honey Batter Dipped Franks On A Stick" with package code 14054, "Use By" dates of 4/6/2017 and 4/9/2017, and case code 14038.
Additionally, each item has the establishment number "EST. P-81A" inside the USDA mark of inspection.
This recall was brought to light because the company is concerned that these products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, a bacteria that can result in a serious infection called Listeriosis. Symptoms include muscle pain, headaches and gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea. More serious side effects include confusion, dizziness and convulsions.
In pregnant women, the Listeriosis infection can result in severe pregnancy complications, such as miscarriage, stillbirth, premature delivery or life-threatening infection in a newborn baby.
So far there have been no reports of illnesses due to this possible contamination, but the company doesn't want to wait around for that to happen, so they went ahead and issued the recall.
If you have any questions or concerns about this recall, you can call the Bar-S Foods Consumer Hotline at 1-888-965-6134.