Our Privacy/Cookie Policy contains detailed information about the types of cookies & related technology on our site, and some ways to opt out. By using the site, you agree to the uses of cookies and other technology as outlined in our Policy, and to our Terms of Use.


Mom Sues Drink Maker for Son's Death

Photograph by AFP/Getty Images

A teenager consumed a Monster—and his life ended in horror, a suit filed by his grieving mother claims.

Paula Morris alleged in a lawsuit filed Tueday that her son Alex died because of Monster—an energy drink the young man couldn’t get enough of, The Huffington Post reports.

Alex, 19, drank two cans of Monster every day for three years, up to and including the day of his death. He experienced cardiac arrest in the wee hours of July 1, 2012. Though he was taken to the hospital, he was ultimately pronounced dead.

The lawsuit, filed in Alameda County Superior court in California, isn’t the first against Monster Beverage Corp. Last year, the company was sued by the family of Anais Fournier, a 14-year-old in Maryland who died after consuming two 24-ounce cans of Monster.

Alexander Wheeler, the attorney representing the plaintiffs in both the Fournier and Morris cases, says, “Our allegations in the lawsuits are the same and that's [sic] the people's deaths were caused by these energy drinks and, more specifically, the defendants' failure to warn about the dangers.”

Monster, based in Corona, had argued in Fournier’s case that there was no blood-test proof to confirm the girl had died of “caffeine toxicity,” as the lawsuit contended. The company contended Fournier had instead succumbed to natural causes, an unforseen consequence of preexisting conditions. Monster reps are so far staying mum on Morris’s case.

This may not be the end of the company’s problems. The Food and Drug Administration is looking into other deaths possibly linked to energy drinks, including five reports that cite Monster specifically.

More from news