How do you think you'd react if you were in charge of a classroom full of kids and a fire broke out? Totally freak out or keep your cool?
Well when the smoke from burning chicken nuggets started to fill a daycare in Arlington, Fla., teacher Michelle Hammack sprang into action. She first smelled the smoke during nap time, while her students were sleeping. So she poked her head around the corner to the kitchen, where she could clearly see that's where the smoke was coming from. She then ran briefly into the kitchen to see how bad it was, and then back out to wake up the kids, tell the other teachers and file everyone outside.
But that's not all she did.
While other teachers and students waited outside for the fire department, Hammack ran back inside and put the fire out herself with an extinguisher, afraid that waiting any longer would cause further damage to the day care facility. Sounds pretty heroic, right?
Well, instead of getting lauded by her boss, day care owner Olga Rozhaov, Hammack was swiftly fired—for ever leaving the classroom in the first place. Rozhaov argues that while Hammack did put out the fire (which, for the record, she did not start herself), she violated the #1 rule at the daycare ...
"I fired her only because she left her room," Olga Rozhaov, told WTEV news. "It's not acceptable, and if anybody else does the same thing, I will fire again. I will fire them. No question."