Our Privacy/Cookie Policy contains detailed information about the types of cookies & related technology on our site, and some ways to opt out. By using the site, you agree to the uses of cookies and other technology as outlined in our Policy, and to our Terms of Use.


Newborns Are on Facebook in Under 60 Minutes

Mother using a tablet to take picture of newborn baby
Photograph by Getty Images/iStockphoto

This has got to be one for the record books. After what can be hours of labor or surgery, new moms and dads aren't waiting long to soak it all in before taking to social media (pretty much immediately) to announce their exciting news. Less than 60 minutes is apparently all it takes for couples to think, "We have got to share this with everyone!" Of course, we don't blame them! Why not share your joy with the world? We know we're always excited to see photos of new babies.

According to a new study, more than two-thirds of all babies now make it onto a social media platform within an hour of their birth—with the average time period clocking in at 57.9 minutes. While Facebook seems like the most logical spot to post about newborns, moms and dads are also taking to Instagram and Flickr for their exciting update.

The poll performed by poster site, Posterista—which surveyed over 2,300 parents—also found that 74 percent of parents were encouraged to be more active on social media because of baby Prince George. Of the photos that were posted, apparently (and understandably), only 62 percent of parents are posting themselves, while the other 38 percent were family and friends taking the camera (or phone, tablet, etc.) to announce the news (hopefully with mom's and dad's consent!).

So what do you think? Is under 60 minutes too soon? Is there even such a thing as "too soon" to gush about a new baby? However quickly you want to post is fine by us (and don't forget to share with us, too!).

More from news