Let's face it: As moms, we don't have a whole lot of primping time. Realistically, most of us get ready each morning with a toddler crawling around our feet. This probably isn't the time for winged eyeliner and false lashes, right? But, on the other hand, those days when it's 3 p.m. and I realize I haven't showered tend to be pretty depressing. My solution? A quick 5-minute face. Ladies, I've got this down to a science. Using a few simple products, I prepare myself for the day. And the crazy thing is, when 5 p.m. rolls around, I find that I feel a lot more together if I've spent a few minutes on myself and taken off those yoga pants. That quick five minutes makes all the difference—even if it's the only five minutes I spend on myself that day.
A simple five-minute face is all about getting the most bang for your buck, and having multipurpose products on hand. This isn't the time for a perfect highlight and contour. With only five minutes, you need to prioritize. You want to look bright and awake, even if it's a total farce. First up? Covering up those dark circles (the ones that accompany late nights and early mornings).
How to Apply a Five-Minute Face:
- Even and Conceal: Apply a tinted moisturizer or BB cream all over. Foundation is too thick and requires blending. You don't have time for that! These lighter options are easy to apply and look more natural. Add an undereye concealer and cover any blemishes. (1 minute)
- Cheek Stain: A flushed cheek will wake up your tired face, and a great cheek stain should last a solid 8 hours (because who has time to reapply?). Apply a cheek stain to the apples of your cheeks. Bonus: You can apply that stain to your lips as well. (1 minute)
- Fill Your Brows In: Any makeup artist will agree, a great-shaped brow makes your whole face look better. Fill your brows in with a pencil, and set with a clear gel. (1 minute)
- Mascara: Those tired eyes will instantly look more awake with a great mascara. Apply mascara to your top AND bottom lashes. Use a deep black for maximum impact. (1 minute)
- Setting Spray: The reality is, you aren't going to have a ton of time to reapply makeup throughout the day. Spray your entire face with a setting spray, and you should be set until wine time (aka bedtime). (1 minute)
A few tricks that will help you look your best every day (trust me, these make a huge difference):
- Exfoliate twice a week: Dead skin cells on your face will make your skin look dull and tired; exfoliating will help your skin glow.
- Get your brows professionally shaped: Applying that brow pencil is a LOT easier when your brows are arched well.
- Use moisturizer and sunscreen: Healthy skin is your best beauty asset. Take care of yours and you'll need less makeup in the long run!
Enjoy, mamas! May your coffee cup be full and your playdates be filled with fun!
Images via Carly Anderson