In 1990, Angela Cochran brought her toddler son David to the emergency room following a bout of vomiting. He was hospitalized for several days until the cause was found: The attending doctor deduced that Angela was poisoning her own son. He notified the authorities, and the boy was taken away and given to his grandparents. Angela was diagnosed with Munchausen by proxy and placed in a mental institution. She spent months in there, as her husband nearly filed for divorce. It turned out her son David actually had a rare enzyme deficiency that caused him to become ill under stress, so she was released and the family was reunited.